Sunday, January 8, 2012

Darcy's Passions: Pride and Prejudice Retold Through His Eyes, by Regina Jeffers

Pages: 385

Rating: PG-13 ( It's a love story, and for the time period, pretty steamy. It's not graphic or anything. The book just happens to go slightly past their marriage, and there is sex, but it's not inappropriately handled or anything.)

Summary:Witty, romantic and insightful, Darcy’s Passions captures the original style and sardonic humor of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice while turning the entire story on its head. Written from the perspective of Fitzwilliam Darcy, this novel tells his version of an improbable, even obsessive relationship with a most impossible woman—Elizabeth Bennet.

This novel reveals Darcy’s passion and conviction but also his turmoil. Darcy knows that duty to family and estate demands he choose a woman of refined tastes. Yet, what his mind tells him to do and what his heart knows to be true tear him in opposite directions. He loves a woman he first denies for being unworthy, but it is he who is found wanting when Elizabeth Bennet refuses his proposal of marriage. Devastated, Darcy must search his soul and transform himself into the man she can love and respect.

My Thoughts: Just in case Colin Firth didn't already convince you that Mr. Darcy is the most desirable man on earth, you can read this book and then you WILL be hopelessly in love. Every girl should hope that her future husband is as much in love with her as Mr. Darcy is with Elizabeth. My favorite Darcy quote from the book: "I have been a fool in love; everything about the woman went against my principles, but, much to my chagrin, I found Elizabeth was exactly what I needed. She is the only woman who dared to challenge me - to humble me." Basically, the book shows you the struggles Darcy goes through as he tries to reconcile his growing interest in a country girl with bad family connections. She is socially unacceptable to a man of his rank, yet he cannot keep himself away from her. One of the best parts of this book is that it goes a little bit past their marriage, where Darcy gets caught on his pride again, there is a flare-up with Elizabeth, and he has to make it right. I absolutely love this book. I own it, it's that awesome. It's just great to hear the whole story from Darcy's perspective and what he was thinking the whole time. I'll let you decide what you think, but to me, it's right up there with the original story!

No comments:

Post a Comment