Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Infinite Atonement

Author: Tad R. Callister
Pages: 335
Rating: I'm not giving this a rating, per se, because it's just not that kind of book. But, I will say, this is a book for young adults to adults, just because the subject matter would go way over the heads of anyone too young. It might be ok for a very mature teenager.

Summary:The Infinite Atonement is rapidly becoming a classic, as it offers what may be the most comprehensive treatment of the Atonement in our day. With clarity, testimony, and understanding, Tad R. Callister teaches us rich and wonderful truths about this “doctrine of doctrines,” and elevates our spirits as we contemplate the perfect love of Him who gave us all that we might receive all.

My Thoughts: I thought this book was phenomenal. If you have ever wished you had a deeper appreciation for the Atonement, go out and get this book right away. Elder Callister just breaks it down, starting with why exactly the Atonement is so important, and what the purpose of it is. That was really enlightening, because I think we all know on a basic level why we have the Atonement (without it, we would not be able to return to God's presence) but to know that exact same thing on a deeper level is really what this book helped me to do. Then, we go into the nature of the Atonement: what happened, how it happened, what the results were. It's amazing. Again, if you feel you need to have more appreciation for the Savior, read this book. My thoughts during the Sacrament the Sunday after I read the chapters detailing everything that happened in Gethsemane were much more sober and focused on the Savior. There were numerous quotes from General Authorities, scriptures, etc that just brought everything to the surface, trying to describe as accurately as possible all the transpired there in the garden. It's humbling, really. I definitely recommend this book. I think I will probably read it again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment