Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Mary Poppins

Author: P.L. Travers
Pages: 209
Rating: G
Summary: A blast of wind, a house-rattling bang, and Mary Poppins arrives at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane. Quicker than she can close her umbrella, she takes charge of the Banks children - Jane, Michael, and the twins - and changes their lives forever.
Unlike other nannies, Mary Poppins makes the most ordinary events extraordinary. She slides up banisters, pulls all manner of wonders out of her empty carpetbag, and banishes fear or sadness with a no-nonsense "Spit-spot." Who else can lead the children on one magical adventure after another and still gently tuck them in at the end of the day? No one other than the beloved nanny Mary Poppins.

My Thoughts: I decided to read this book after watching the movie "Saving Mr. Banks" which is a phenomenal film, by the way. I had no idea that Mary Poppins was a book, so of course, I had to read it. I didn't love it. Honestly, there's not much of  a plot. Each chapter is a separate fanciful story about something Mary Poppins does with the children. And then at the end of the book, she leaves. Young children would probably really like it, but I was bored. I like my books to have substance. Also, Mary Poppins is kind of mean, as are most of the other adults the children encounter. Their parents are barely mentioned at all, and Bert is a character in only one chapter. They certainly took a lot of liberties with the movie. I found myself wondering what in the world Mrs. Banks was doing all day since the family has a housemaid, butler, cook, and nanny.

As I said, young children would probably be delighted with the silly little stories and adventures the children go on, but I was just bored. It took me weeks to read this book, and it's not even very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment