Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Storied Life of A.J Fikry

Author: Gabrielle Zevin
Pages: 258
Rating: PG-13 (several instances of the f-word, references to sex, although no graphic descriptions)

Summary:
A. J. Fikry’s life is not at all what he expected it to be. He lives alone, his bookstore is experiencing the worst sales in its history, and now his prized possession, a rare collection of Poe poems, has been stolen. But when a mysterious package appears at the bookstore, its unexpected arrival gives Fikry the chance to make his life over--and see everything anew.

My Thoughts: I felt like this book was just ok. While it was a nice quick read and entertaining enough to keep me reading it, I didn't fall in love with it completely.It also had a few too many swear words in it for my taste.  AJ is quite depressed at the beginning of the story. His wife has died in a car accident and he is quite alone. The "mysterious package" is an abandoned 2-year old girl, who AJ ends up adopting, and she helps him really turn his life around. I just felt like this story has been told before, in a million different ways. But I did like the underlying theme about how books and stories can bring people together, solidify relationships, and change the way we think about things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment